Ricotta Stuffed Mushrooms2017-07-05
- 4 large saucer sized mushrooms, wiped clean
- 1 teaspoon olive oil plus extra for spraying and greasing
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 6 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 fresh chilli or to taste, chopped (optional)
- 8 tablespoons low fat ricotta or low fat cottage cheese
- 4 – 5 tablespoons fresh wholegrain breadcrumbs
- Ground black pepper
- 1 small handful fresh parsley, basil or thyme, chopped, plus extra to garnish
Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4.
Remove the stems from the mushrooms, chop the stems and set aside.
Spray the mushroom cups with a little oil and place on a baking sheet, bake in the oven for a few minutes.
Meanwhile, heat the teaspoon of oil in a pan and sauté the chopped mushroom stems with the garlic, pine nuts and chilli, if using, until the mushroom stems are soft, this will only take a couple of minutes. Don’t forget to remove the mushrooms from the oven.
Add the mushroom mixture to the cheese and stir in the breadcrumbs, herbs and black pepper. Pack the stuffing into the mushroom cups and bake in the oven on a greased oven tray for 15 – 20 minutes. Garnish with a sprinkling of chopped herbs.
The salt content of ricotta and cottage cheeses varies so remember to check the label.
Photo by Trishhhh